As a Student for the Fashion Programs at George Brown College, Fashion management and Post grad International Fashion Management, I feel happy of being part of this school community. My name is Alejandro Prieto and I can confidently say that I have set high standards for myself in everything I am involved. Volunteering in all activities available to a GBC Fashion student and continually challenge myself in new opportunities have improved my personality. During both programs, I voluntarily served as Class Liaison that I address my class weekly in order to inform them of both college and program specific information and key dates. Due to my success in my academic performance, I have already been secured as a Peer Leader for 4 semesters as a support for first year Fashion students enrolled in Principles of Accounting and Principles of Logistics. Also, working with Peer Connect and Accessible departments have helped me understand students’ problems with their performance in the school.
1) What motivated you to run for this position?
I want to be the bridge between the SA area and Fashion Students. I have realized that these students barely know about the activities and services that SA department offers. It will be a great opportunity to connect with more students form CL campus.
2) What relevant experience do you feel qualifies you for this position?
I have been working for 2 years with Fashion, Peer Connect and Accessibility departments. I have coached and tutored a lot of Fashion students with different courses and workshops. Being a tutor make me feel more engaged with the GBC community. A friendly face will help in this process.
3) If elected, list three primary goals you wish to accomplish during your term.
· Promote the activities and services of SA department among students
· Create awareness at CL campus about SA, not all students know about this department
· Work with the rest SA members to create a good working environment and give an excellent service to Students from CL campus.
4) What are your main areas of interest in relation to your particular campus or program?
Fashion school is one of the most underestimating area. It means students from this programs feel they are not part of the GBC community. My main objective is to work alongside with Fashion department and to include Fashion students more in SA life. They need to use more this service.
5) George Brown is a diverse college — in what ways would you strive for representation of ALL students?
I think the both ways that we can work with all students is with respect and tolerance. The key is to be empathic and understandable with everyone, give the same service to all of them without any preference. An inclusive approach is the best way for everyone.