My name is Alex Stewart an outgoing, friendly and companionate Business Marketing student. Throughout my studies and work experiences at George Brown, I have managed to acquire an impeccable sense of responsibility, excellent communication skills, effective interpersonal skills, and the ability to lead and work cohesively with individuals from various backgrounds. My leadership capabilities have been demonstrated through my previous position as a Student Life Ambassador and member of the Black Student Success Network (BSSN), where I was responsible for creating, overseeing and managing events and train new staff members. As the Master of ceremonies for the George Brown orientations, I have shown that I am capable of effectively communicating with a variety of crowds and displays outstanding interpersonal skills.
Due to my experience and capabilities, I believe I should be considered for the position of Director of Equity for the following reasons:
- I possess the necessary skills and knowledge to perform with a high level of efficiency.
- As a student I can relate to the needs of the student body from a personal point of view
- I will perform my duties according to the bylaws and with the student body in consideration.
- Diversity and equality are my primary focus when interacting with students and staff.
1) What motivated you to run for this position?
I was motivated to run as I find it fulfilling to represent my fellow students. This position will enable me to contribute to decisions that are beneficial to the student body. It will help me gain knowledge and experience relevant to my future endeavours and also from a personal point of view, the legacy of the Student Association is an achievement in itself.
2) What relevant experience do you feel qualifies you for this position?
My experiences relevant to this position includes: All positions listed, involved promoting diversity, equality and fairness, working with individuals with different backgrounds, engaging with both student and staff in an appropriate manner.
- Student life- Student Ambassador
- BSSN- Social Engagement Assistant
- Student Association – Event squad staff
3) If elected, list three primary goals you wish to accomplish during your term.
My primary goals I wish to accomplish are as follows:
- Coordinate and develop effective communication strategies to enhance and support cultural diversity and issues of equity
- Assist in the development and implementation of procedures to assess the diverse populations in the schools community, which includes students and staff.
- Collaborate with various departments in the development of programs involving initiatives related to academic performances of minority students.
4) What are your main areas of interest in relation to your particular campus or program?
My main area of interest in regards to my campus will be wide spread; although I am native to the St. James campus, if elected my position will represent the entire student body of George Brown College; hence, my primary goal is to include other campuses in my initiatives.
5) George Brown is a diverse college — in what ways would you strive for representation of ALL students?
Being that George Brown is a diverse college, in striving for representation of all the students, I will implement that Student Association and other departments in the college expand on the variety of staff employed and create more culturally diverse events.