Hello, my name is Calvin Bartholomew Soto and I am currently running to be the Director of St. James Campus. I am a Marketing student in my 2nd year, a program which I thoroughly enjoy. I would describe myself as being a social butterfly, as I love to socialize with others, meet new people, have fun and go to many events. What motivates me to run for this position is the students of St. James. SJ is my “home” campus and I spend more hours at school than I do at home, so I thought it would be great to use that time I spend at the college to give back and potentially be a voice for the students. My vision is to encourage and create a welcoming environment and a great experience for all college students.
1) What motivated you to run for this position?
I believe that the students of St. James campus should choose me to be their representative for the following reasons:
• I will always do my best to keep you in the know, this includes all events occurring in and out of the college.
• I will assist students in creating new and fun experiences.
• I will encourage students to embrace their differences, to allow the college to become more diverse.
2) What relevant experience do you feel qualifies you for this position?
I feel as though in my everyday life at school I am constantly talking and encouraging students to get involved with the college through activities and volunteering; hence, the correlation with the position of SJ Campus Director.
3) If elected, list three primary goals you wish to accomplish during your term.
If elected, my three primary goals I wish to accomplish during my term:
• Increase student participation in events in and outside of the college.
• Motivate students to socialize and expand their network
• Create a friendly environment/space for all students
4) What are your main areas of interest in relation to your particular campus or program?
My main areas of interest are developing strong relations with students, improving interpersonal skills, and self-actualization.
5) George Brown is a diverse college — in what ways would you strive for representation of ALL students?
I will do my best to represent the students through engaging in conversation and asking them what their needs are to properly represent them as SJ Campus Director.