If you paid the health benefits fee for fall 2016, your benefits information is available at wespeakstudent.com. Simply click George Brown College. You can also visit one of the Student Association offices to verify your benefit coverage.
Please be advised for those students who are part of the Student Association Annual Health Benefits Plan that your emergency out of Canada Health Insurance plan is valid until Dec. 22, 2016.
If you plan to stay outside of Canada after Dec. 22, 2016, it is your responsibility to top-up your travel insurance to correspond to your return date to Canada (please refer to your air tickets).
If you need to top-up or check your travel insurance coverage please contact:
We Speak Student
toll free 1-800-315-1108
When you communicating with the insurance company please be prepared to have the following information:
• Date of birth
• Home Country
• Date of Departure: Aug 26 2016
• Effective Date: Dec 22, 2016 (coverage must be purchased before this date)
• Return Date
The Student Association of George Brown College is looking to fill the vacant positions of the Director of Equity and the Satellite Campuses Director for the remainder of this term and we are asking any member who is interested to submit an application letter.
This letter should be no more than 250 words, indicating why you wish to serve on the Board, and outline what skills and experience you bring that would contribute positively to the governance of the Student Association.
The Board of Directors will review all application letters received and appoint the best-suited candidate.
If you wish to apply, kindly submit your letter to the Director of Communications & Internal by email at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 7.
We are calling on faculty, staff and students to donate food items to support our Holiday Food Drive between Nov. 14 and Dec. 14.
Our goal this year is to collect 300 donation bags full of food. Donation bags will be available for pick-up starting Nov. 14.
Students have a lot of things to worry about; where their next meal is coming from shouldn’t be one of them.
To make a donation you can drop off food at the food bank or Student Association front offices.
- St. James – 200 King Street E, Rooms 159A and 147
- Casa Loma – E Building, Rooms E127 and E100
- Waterfront – Concourse Level, Room 031
GBC students, and students across Canada, are taking action against tuition fees and inaccessible education.
Wednesday, Nov. 2
St. James Kings Lounge (Room 150)
Free breakfast for free education destination: Queen’s Park (march & rally)
Join our Facebook event!
Wednesday, Nov. 16, 2016
1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
St. James Kings Lounge (room 150)
The Student Association of George Brown College (SA) invites all full-time students—SA members—to participate in our Annual General Meeting.
View the 2015-16 SAGBC annual report online.
AGM packages with motions and proxies are available for pickup at all Student Association front offices during regular office hours.
There will be no proposed changes to the Student Association bylaws at the Annual General Meeting.
Please join us, and learn more about your Student Association.
Lunch provided at 1 p.m.
Every year GBC climbs the CN Tower as part of United Way.
This is not only opportunity to climb up the CN Tower but to make a difference for our community.
If you are interested in joining GBC’s team, the GBClimbers 2016, to register now and join us on October 22.
Who would have thought that a course outline could make or break your grade? Many of us don’t even attend that first class.
- Course outlines are central to your success in class, they ensure that what is written is being delivered
- Professors are responsible to inform you about course expectations and deliverables through course outlines to ensure you meet your educational needs and program requirements
- Course outlines identify due dates and breakdown of grades for your assignments within the course
- Course outlines describe the expectations and outcomes or what you are supposed to learn within the course
- Keep your course outlines throughout the course as well as copies of assignments as proof in case there are any concerns regarding grading or changes within the course delivery/structure that should not be occurring without notice from the teacher
- If you feel that any information within the course outline was not met, delivered, or violated, you have every right to have that concern addressed
- If you have any accessibility needs for your educational success you must inform faculty as they are also committed to providing you a road to success
For any questions/concerns regarding the above, contact us at our hotline number 416-415-5000 Ext. 6320 or email email@example.com.
Be a student leader!
Join our Board of Directors!
Positions open for byelection:
Director of Communications and Internal
Satellite Campus Director
Waterfront Campus Director
Education Centre Representatives
Construction & Engineering Rep.
Health Sciences Rep.
Woman & Trans* People Rep.
George Brown College Board of Governors
Student Representative (Nomination period Sept. 29 to Oct. 5 ends at 4 p.m.)
Starts on Monday, Sept. 26, 2016 at 10 a.m.
Ends on Wednesday, Oct. 5, 2016 at 4 p.m.
Nomination packages can be picked up at your campus Student Association office.
- Casa Loma campus, room E100
- St. James campus, room 147
- Waterfront campus, room 033
- Ryerson campus, room 614
Voting days: Oct. 17-21
The big back-to-school concert featuring Alessia Cara and DJ Boi-1da plus more! Free for all GBC students.
Wednesday, Sept. 21
8 p.m. to midnight
The Phoenix Concert Theatre
410 Sherbourne St.,
How to get tickets
Step 1: Reserve online: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/gbc-fest-2016-alessia-cara-live-in-concert-tickets-27465833046
Step 2: You must come to any SA office to pick up your physical ticket.
Here at the Student Association, it is our job to make sure that you are getting the best experience during your time here at George Brown College. We are here for you to ensure that the college hears your voice.
If you have any issues or concerns, don’t hesitate to talk with anyone from the Student Association for help. It’s not just our Board of Directors, but our amazing staff, as well, who are always working hard for you and your student rights.
Our motto here at the Student Association? “You’re always in the right place.”
You can find any of us walking around campus or working diligently in any of our Student Association offices. If you want to chat, we’re here for you!
Together we can make this the best year yet!