The student health benefits plan is a mandatory plan; therefore, you cannot cancel your student health benefits plan unless you are under a Canadian federal/provincial health plan. If you have any further concern or you are under the government plan, please visit our office.
ESL International students are eligible for OHIP alternative medical plan.
- If you are an international student in TESL program, you are eligible for the same plan for international students in a post-secondary program. Please visit this page regarding your coverage. All administration processes and procedures follow the international plan under the post-secondary program.
- Domestic ESL students, who start in September or January, are eligible for the same plan for domestic students in post-secondary programs. Please visit this page regarding your coverage. All administration processes and procedures follow the domestic plan under the post-secondary program.
How to verify your eligibility for the ESL international student benefits plan
- In order to verify whether or not you are eligible for the ESL plan, please check your personal financial account through STU VIEW to verify whether you have been charged for the health benefits fees. However, we strongly recommend contacting the Student Association office in person, by phone or by email.
Types of coverage & coverage period:
Medical Services through WeSpeakStudent includes basic medical services such as seeing a doctor in a walk-in clinic or using the hospital for an emergency and/or serious medical issues involving hospitalization.
You can visit the Student Association office or go to https://wespeakstudent.com/home/47-george-brown-college for:
- The policy and coverage booklet
- The forms
- Discount network and coupons
- Instructions on how to submit claims
- Video tutorials
You are eligible to receive eight weeks of coverage per session. Your coverage will be renewed every time you register for the next level. Applicable fees will be applied every time the health insurance is renewed.
Family enrolment for ESL international students
International ESL students can purchase health plan for family members residing with them here in Canada. To obtain more details about the costs and the necessary forms, please visit one of the Student Association offices as soon as you start your program.
Family enrolment deadline:
The deadline is the Thursday of the second week of each session.
Student Association office locations and contact information
St. James: Room 147 (Student Association)
Casa Loma: Room E100 (Student Association)
Ryerson: SHE 614 (SHE Building)
Waterfront: Room 033 (Concourse Level)
Health Benefits Hotline: 416-415-5000 ext. 2443