Please note: all applications submitted will need at least a cover letter and a resume outlining the interest in the position and up to three samples of your writing or editing work.
Need help writing your cover letter and or tailoring your resume? Check out the Career Services at your campus (St. James Campus Rm B155, Casa Loma Campus Rm C317, and Waterfront Campus Rm 017) and book an appointment!
Job Title: Editor, The Dialog
Job Category: Support Staff
Department/Group: The Dialog
Location: Casa Loma campus
Travel Required: Yes
Level/Salary Range: $15/hr for 20 hours/week
Position Type: Temporary-Part-Time
HR Contact: Mick Sweetman
Start Date: January 2019
Will Train Applicant(s): Yes
Posting Expires: Jan. 1, 2019
Fax or E-mail: email@example.com
Subject Line: : Editor, The Dialog Application
Attention: Mick Sweetman
The editor shall be responsible for guiding the student editorial staff of The Dialog, with support from the publications and communications co-ordinator. The editor will be responsible for insuring that stories are of the highest quality. They are also responsible for helping edit content for all sections of The Dialog and working with staff to ensure that the print and online editions of The Dialog are published free of errors in a timely manner.
- Will assign stories to staff reporters and ensure that they meet journalistic standards.
- Will work with editorial staff on journalistic best practices.
- Ensuring that the assistant editor has all stories scheduled and on deadline for publication.
- Will be responsible for the overall editorial direction of The Dialog, in line with the SA mission statement.
- Will edit content by prior to publication, ensuring that the stories are accurate and fair.
- Other duties as needed and assigned by the publications and communications co-ordinator.
- Writing or editing articles for a newspaper, newsletter, website, blog or other forms of communication
- Has strong news judgment.
- Working in a diverse and demanding office where teamwork and communication is vital.
- Working with digital photography, Adobe Creative Suite is an asset.
- The ability to work to strict deadlines, have excellent leadership skills, and the ability to work collaboratively with other students.
- An editing and Canadian Press Style test will be required as part of the interview process.
We are the students of George Brown College committed to supporting each other in the struggle for student rights, the pursuit of quality education and the provision of services in a safe, accessible and equitable environment.
Commitment to Equity:
The Student Association is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from among those groups of individuals that are traditionally underrepresented to apply.