Please note: all applications submitted will need at least a cover letter and a resume outlining the interest in the position and up to three samples of your writing.
Need help writing your cover letter and or tailoring your resume? Check out the Career Services at your campus (St. James Campus Rm B155, Casa Loma campus room C317, and Waterfront Campus Rm 017) and book an appointment!
Job Title: Reporter-Editor
Job Category: Support Staff
Department/Group: The Dialog
Travel Required: Yes
Level/Salary Range: $15 /hr up to 15 hrs a week or $0.15 cents a word as assigned.
Position Type: Temporary-Part-Time
Start Date: January 2018
Will Train Applicant(s): Yes
Posting Expires: Jan. 20, 2018
Subject Line: : Reporter-editor Application
Attention: Mick Sweetman
Reporter-editors at The Dialog play a key role in our student community. They gather information and prepare stories for our student publications and inform us about newsworthy events and happenings in our community. They present factual information on current issues and report on the actions of public officials, executives, special interest groups, and others who exercise power.
• Will pitch story ideas to and be assigned articles from the managing editor.
• Will be responsible for their assigned articles each issue.
• Responsible for creating stories that are factual and compelling with accompanying photos.
• Will be responsible for editing a section of the newspaper each issue.
• Will keep accurate and up to date records of research, interviews, etc.
• Will file stories and photos in a timely and accurate manner.
• Promoting The Dialog online, through social media, and handing out hard copies of the newspaper.
• Other duties as needed.
• Writing articles for a newspaper, newsletter, or website, or experience in other forms of communication with a strong sense of news writing.
• Working in a diverse and demanding office where teamwork and communication is vital.
• Working with digital photography or video is an asset.
• Reporter-editors will have the ability to work to strict deadlines, have excellent communication skills, be willing to follow established style guides and have the desire to work in a student collective environment.
• Up to three writing, photography or video samples may be included with your application.
Commitment to Equity:
The Student Association is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from among those groups of individuals that are traditionally underrepresented to apply.