I’m Riddhi Modi, an international student from India. I came to Canada, leaving behind the corporate world to pursue my dreams. Last year, I studied post-graduation in International Business Management and recently graduated from Strategic Relationship Marketing.
The biggest barrier I’ve faced is gender inequality in pursuing my education. To dismantle these barriers, I created a group called “Sakhi”, along with like-minded people, supporting girl’s education. This small initiative brought various students together to fight against barriers and communicate their concerns with the world.
The opportunities on and off campus at GBC gave me a chance to develop industry relationships. I had the incredible experience of a co-op in the GBC Marketing department, which opened many doors for my future.
I’ve volunteered for TIFF, Big Brothers and Big Sisters Toronto, and Student Leadership Academy. I helped METRAC, an organization that fights against sexual violence and teaches the importance of consent.
I encourage students to get involved in the community and connect with people. I’m well suited for Director of Communication and Internal as it leverages my experience of working with the students, the College and Student Association. This position will enhance my involvement and communication with students.
- What motivated you to run for this position?
I’m extremely passionate about giving back to the society and making a difference in people’s lives. The motivation mainly came from students and friends who showed a very strong belief in my capabilities and convinced me to make a difference by running for the Director of Communications and Internal position.
- What relevant experience do you feel qualifies you for this position?
I’m the current Director of Communications and Internal for the SA. I understand this position very well and I would like to leverage this experience by running again. I have contributed in terms of improving the by-laws, hiring part- time staff, collaborating with the college committees; to benefit the students.
- If elected, list three primary goals you wish to accomplish during your term.
- Act as an efficient communication bridge between students and the SA by addressing their concerns;
- Improve SA Governance and Accountability;
- Increase paid co-op and part-time opportunities within the college;
- Support graduates in finding full time opportunities through collaboration with employers; and
- Increase bursaries and scholarships;
- What are your main areas of interest in relation to your particular campus or program?
I graduated from Strategic Marketing and my main areas of interest are Digital Analytics, Marketing Research and Corporate Communications. My goal is to effectively use these skills to communicate appropriately between the SA and the students and make sure that the students are aware of the services provided by SA.
- George Brown College is a diverse college – in what ways would you strive for representation of ALL students?
I will make sure that I am helping all students, regardless of how they identify. If any form of discrimination comes to my notice, I will resolve the concern with appropriate measures. Disability should never be a barrier to communication, and I will find ways to communicate with the membership.