The Community Action Centre (CAC) is a safe(r) space open to all students who care about issues of equity and each other to gather, share experiences, dream up ideas, skill-build, socialize, raise awareness, and cultivate community.
It’s also the hub for five “community groups” that work both together and independently to prioritize diverse supports for traditionally marginalized students.
Current represented groups are the:
▪ Aboriginal Students’ Group
▪ Disabilities Students’ Group
▪ International Students’ Group
▪ LGBTQ Students’ Group
▪ Women & Trans Students’ Group
Admittedly, college can be an alienating place that is much harder to navigate when you don’t see your experiences, histories, values or voice reflected in the curriculum, decision-making, or in the mainstream culture. The CAC looks to break the social isolation that students face of campus through programming, campaigns, socials, and services.
▪ Community centre: a family friendly safer space to sit, study, and socialize.
▪ Events programmed by and for students; including workshops, discussion groups, crafting, button-making, field trips, etc.
▪ Campaigns: vision on issues of equity, working closely with Campaigns staff.
▪ Peer support: connect and discuss issues with peers or student staff.
▪ Health & Sexual Health Supplies: including menstrual products and sexual health resources (condoms, receptive condoms, dental dams, lubes, pregnancy tests, etc.).
▪ Teas & coffees: organic fair-trade teas and coffees.
▪ Board games: wide selection of fun in between classes.
▪ Alternative library: books, zines, magazines to keep you learning and unlearning.
The CAC is unique in its offerings – and simultaneously vibrant and chill.
St. James campus
200 King St. E. – Room 165B
Casa Loma campus
142 Kendal Ave. E Building, Room E124
For more information contact:
Community Action Centre Coordinator