The Students Association hosts an annual Tax Clinic in the month of March. The tax clinic helps current George Brown Students file free Canadian income tax returns for the current tax year.


Regrettably, we will not be able to prepare your return if it involves any of the following items:

  • Rental income and expenses
  • Business income and expenses (eg. including self-employment income)
  • Disposition of marketable securities (eg. Capital Gains/Losses on sales of shares)
  • Employment expenses (eg. form T2200 signed by your employer)
  • Bankruptcy
  • Deceased persons
  • Interest Income over $1000

International Students:
International students are welcome and encouraged to file a tax return even if they don’t have any income! You will need to have an Individual Tax Number (ITN). If you’re a first-time filer, learn how to apply for an ITN. 

International Taxes:
We cannot prepare tax returns for other countries at this time (eg. US tax returns for students that had co-op in the US).

What to bring

  • USB drive
  • Social Insurance Number (SIN) or Individual Tax Number (ITN)
  • Information slips, (eg. T3, T4, T4A, T5, T5013, etc.)
  • Tuition Slips (T2202: available on StuView)
  • ‘Notice of Assessment’ from previous income tax return (if not filing for the first-time)
  • Monthly Transit Passes
  • Rent receipts or property tax paid in Ontario
  • Medical Expenses
  • Donation Receipts (eg. Endowment Fund)
  • Records for Moving Expenses
  • Any other information not listed below that may be applicable

Less Common Items:

  • Tips or Gratuities Earned
  • Receipts showing enrolment of a child (16 yrs of age or under at beginning of 2016) in fitness or arts extra-curricular activities
  • Carrying Charges (eg. investment fees, safety deposit box charges)
  • RRSP Contribution Receipts
  • Interest on Student Loans
  • Home Buyer’s Amount – let us know if you purchased a new home in 2016

How to Access GBC Student Documents

T4 from co-op work/summer job
Your employer will mail this to the mailing address they have on file, so be sure that they have the most up-to-date mailing address especially if you lived away from home during co-op. If you haven’t received this by March 1, follow up with your employer.

T4/T4A (eg. Scholarships/Bursaries, other GBC employment)
Available on your StuView Account.

T2202 Tuition Slip
StuView -> Financial Services-> Tax Receipts -> Print all viewable forms
You may have taken courses at an online post-secondary or other post-secondary in the current tax year. \Make sure you get a T2202 from them as well (eg. Athabasca University T2202).

Charitable Donations to Endowment Fund(s)
Students will receive this by mail from or in-person from the charitable organization or endowment institution by March 1. If you have not, you should follow up with the charity or endowment intuition.

Monthly Transit Pass Receipts
Bring in your Metropasses! If you have any other monthly transit passes, bring in your receipts. Please bring in only monthly passes – not weekly passes.

Rent Receipts

  • The address you lived at (including postal code)
  • How many months in 2016 you were there for
  • The name of the landlady/landlord/company that owned it, or the person you subletted from

You should get a letter/receipt from your landlord (or sublettor) confirming the above, in case CRA audits you in the future. Easiest way is to write the letter yourself, print it off and get them to sign it. Make sure the letter contains the above 3 items as well as your name!

Moving Expenses
If you moved, and are now 40 km closer to your new workplace, you may be able to deduct moving expenses against the income you earned (eg. move from studying at Waterloo -> your parents’ house in Toronto for co-op). The information needed is:

  1. Use Google Maps to determine the distance between
  • Your old residence and your new work
  •  Your new residence and your new work
  • Kilometres between new residence and old residence
  •   Meals eaten during this move
  •  Number of nights, usually zero
  1. Address of both new and old residences (including postal codes)
  2. Date of move
  3. Date you started the new job
  4. Name and address of employer that you moved to work at/attend
  5. Amount of moving expenses, unless you took a train/plane, the best way is usually the ‘simplified method’